Gratuity is a sum of money paid to an employee at the end of an employment contract.
According to Business Standard, it is a part of the salary that is received by an employee from his/her employer in gratitude for the services offered to the company.
Gratuity has always been a bit of a sore subject. Some organisations give it, others don’t. Some give 5%, others give 30%. Who decides!?
The employment act on Zambia explicitly states that an employer shall pay gratuity under the two following circumstances;
- At the end of a long-term contract period.
- When an employees contract is terminated where it shall be paid on a prorated basis.
At the rate of not less than 25%.
Formula for Calculating Gratuity in Zambia
You can calculate your gratuity in Zambia by using the formula below.
gratuity = ((percentage/100) * basic_salary) * num_months;
Severance Pay & Packages
A severance package is pay and benefits employees may be entitled to receive when they leave employment at a company unwillfully
According to the employment act, severance pay shall be paid in the following instances with the prescribed calculations;
- Medical Discharge – lump sum of not less than three months basic pay for each completed year of service.
- Death in Service – two months basic pay for each year served under the contract of employment.
- Redundancy – a lump sum of two basic pay for each year served under the contract of employment.
- Expiry of a Fixed Term Contract – twenty five percent of an employee’s basic pay earned during the contract period or the retirement benefits provided by the relevant social security scheme that the employee is a member of.
- Termination of a Fixed Term Contract – gratuity at the rate of not less than twenty-five percent of the employee’s basic pay earned during the contract period as at the effective date of termination.
The following class of employees are exempted from gratuity and severance pay;
- Casual Employees
- Temporary Employees
- Employees on probation
- The Employment Code Act No. 3 of 2019
- Who qualifies for gratuity? - Times of Zambia
- The Laws of the Republic of Zambia
- Gratuity: Protection of workers or killer of business in Zambia
Check this out: Calculate your pay as you earn